The Healing Power of Juicing
by Cynthia Foster, MD
Hopeless? Incurable? Nothing else has worked?
Depression, weight issues, arthritis, cancer, autoimmune diseases, infections, etc.
Try the world's most powerful therapy - juice fasting!
Juice fasting makes every other natural method work faster: massage therapy works faster for fibromyalgia, acupuncture works faster for pain, energy healing is sped up, etc. So easy, you can do it in the privacy of your own home. But please be supervised the first time you do a fast or if you are not familiar with natural healing methods.
What is a juice fast?
A juice fast is a liquid, nourishing diet consisting of solely juices and water. Many natural healers have combined periods of fasting with certain supplements which potentiate and speed up the benefits of the fast.
What other types of fasts are there?
Mono diet fasts - grape. Only one type of food is consumed during a period of time. Probably the most famous and successful one is the grape diet. Persons on this diet are encouraged to drink as much grape juice and consume as many grapes (plus the grape skins and seeds) as desired.
Water fasting - only water is consumed. This method is preferred by adherents of Natural Hygiene who insist it is the only true method of fasting. It is a dramatic fast, and cannot be extended for long periods of time without adverse effects. Although it has been effective for some when done for very short periods of time, I usually find the cleanse to be too "rough" for most people to handle. Some people have reported that they never gained back their energy after doing a water fast. Others have told me they suffered kidney damage from this method. I do not recommend water fasting.
How to do a juice fast:
I know many people who have done the Stanley Burrough's Master Cleanser and have always received great benefit from it.
How much juice should I drink? As much juice as you want - this is not about deprivation. Drink at least a gallon per day, and more if you are hungry. If you're hungry, you should drink more juice.
What juices should I drink?
Greens - parsley, kale, beet greens, chard, spinach, dandelion leaf
Cruciferous vegetables - broccoli, cabbage
Root vegetables - carrots, beets, sweet potatoes
Fruits - dark grapes, apples, citrus
Herbs - yucca root (especially good for arthritis and other inflammations in the
body), fennel, ginger, garlic, green onion, chile pepper
Since juices are concentrates, dilute all juices with an equal amount of water. I do not recommend an all fruit juice fast. Diabetics should juice fast on vegetable juices only.
Consult some recipe books for juice fasting. Michael Murray's The Complete Book of Juicing contains many recipes for delicious juices. It is easy to make fruit juice combinations that taste good. It is more challenging to make vegetables taste good. If you've made a vegetable combination that doesn't taste good, add carrot and/or apple juice to it. Most of the time, that will make the juice palatable enough to drink.
What juicer should I get?
It depends on what you want and how much you are willing to spend. The Champion Juicer has a large motor which practically never wears out. I've known people who have had their Champion juicer for over 25 years. The great thing about the Champion is that it is so easy to clean. It also has a homogenizer attachment that allows you to make nut butters, frozen fruit desserts, and pates. It retails for around $249.95. The Champion does a good job with most juices except wheatgrass and delicate stems. For these, you usually need a separate wheatgrass juicer, or a Green Power Juicer or Green Star Juicer which retails from $449 to $550 which juices wheatgrass as well as greens and vegetables. One of the best juicers to get started with is an Juice Fountain Elite. All of the juicers mentioned are available via this website.
Links to learn more about Juicers
(1) Types of Juicers
(2) Juicer Comparisons
Supplements to take while juice fasting:
1) Cayenne - cayenne gives energy and helps dissolve mucous, stops bleeding in the intestines, hemorrhaging of the uterus, and bleeding in other organs. It dissolves blood clots, and increases circulation to the head, making it invaluable for use in strokes and senility such as Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia. Start with 1/8 tsp of 150,000 Heat Units Cayenne once a day. Work your way up to 1 tsp 3 times per day. For cayenne tincture, start with 5-10 drops, and work up to 1 dropperful (30-35 drops) 3 times per day. If can handle it, take even more - it can only help you. Your body will gradually adapt and be able to handle larger doses. For weaker cayenne, you will need to take much more to get the same effect. Take cayenne with juice - don't take it on an empty stomach or you will be sorry - intense intestinal cramping can result from doing this.
2) Algae - Spirulina, Chlorella, blue green algae, and Dunaliella (red algae) are the four major edible kinds of algae. People have been consuming certain types of algae as food for thousands of years. The protein content of algaes range from 60-70% with a very high protein utilization factor. This means that your body is easily able to absorb and use the protein contained in algae. Algae usually comes in a powder form, or in tablets or capsules. Begin with 1/2 tsp of the powdered algae per day and increase to whatever dose feels good for you. Otherwise, follow directions on the supplement bottle. If you don't like the taste of the powder or liquid, capsules are the next best way to take algae. The least desirable method is tablets since they are highly compressed, making them more difficult to digest.
3) Nutritional yeast - Saccharomyces cerevisiae - yeast is very high in B vitamins including B12. The kind I like is Red Star T6635 #12 Large flake. I've seen it sold in bulk at the health food store as well as in the supplement section. Do not take yeast if you have gout or gout tendencies since the high protein content may aggravate gout. Start with 1 TBS per day and increase to 2 or more TBS per day if that feels good. Since nutritional yeast is so high in B vitamins, and the nervous system requires so much of them to function properly, this makes an excellent food for the nervous system. Those with nervous system disorders such as myasthenia gravis, multiple sclerosis, brain diseases such as Alzheimer's disease, premature senility, all kinds of dementia, schizophrenia, Tourette's syndrome, and other neurologic diseases may want to increase their dose as needed. People with milder neurologic problems like anxiety, depression, mental and emotional disorders will benefit, too.
4) Wheatgrass powder, capsules or tablets.
5) Barley Grass powder, capsules or tablets.
6) Herbal teas - any except green tea, ma huang or ephedra. These are strong stimulants. You don't want to drink these unless you have severe asthma, in which case they may provide relief. Remember that regularly taking a stimulant and then suddenly stopping it can result in withdrawal such as headaches, fatigue, depression, low blood pressure and possibly fainting.
7) Organic, unfiltered apple cider vinegar (Braggs and Spectrum are good brands usually found in health food stores). Apple cider vinegar is especially good for arthritis - it helps to wash and dissolve calcium deposits from joints and muscles and balances body pH. Start with a 1 TBS three times per day and increase to as much as you feel you need.
How will I get enough protein?
If you do the fast as I say and take the above supplements, there is no chance you won't get enough protein.
Do not worry, you are not starving yourself. In fact, you will be getting even more nutrition than you usually do since it is easier for the body to extract nutrients from liquids than it is to digest solid foods to get their nutrients out. You will get plenty of nutrition, especially if you juice at least a gallon a day, and use algae and nutritional yeast. If your body is healing itself, this is a sign that you are getting more nutrition than you need. Whenever you get more nutrients than you need, the body will use those nutrients to heal.
The average American is already getting too much protein on a daily basis. The average American has animal protein for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is rare to find an entire culture based on this incredibly high amount of protein in the diet. Our bodies cannot digest this much protein; therefore, it is left undigested in the body and stored away in the form of tumors - both benign and cancerous.
What if my problem/condition gets worse?
In cases of arthritis, fibromyalgia and other painful conditions, it may get worse temporarily before it gets better. This is normal, expected, and is a good sign that the fast is working to cleanse your body.
I know my body - I can't do that!
If you really knew your body and were completely in tune with it, you would not be sick! How do you know if you can do something until you are in the middle of doing it? I've put many a person on a juice fast who swore to me that they couldn't do it. They came through it just fine, and were amazed that they felt so much energy during it.
Won't I feel weak?
Most people don't realize that a juice fast will provide even more energy than they normally have. Fasting is a time when the mind is stimulated and all sorts of creative ideas flow. It is the perfect method to use to unleash creativity for artists, musicians, actors, writers and any other sort of creative profession. It takes 30% of your body's entire energy to digest food. This is a lot of energy! If you do not have to digest solid food, you have this much more energy in your body to heal yourself with. Since the body is always moving towards health, it will use this energy to bring itself back into balance. It will do things like dissolve calcium deposits in the joints, release toxins stored in the liver, kidneys, muscles, and fat. It will dissolve scar tissue in the body, and begin to regenerate and clean up aging, injured and infected organs. Since juice is so full of enzymes, the body does not need to use up extra energy to create enzymes to digest it. Instead of digestive enzymes, the body will manufacture other types of enzymes to break up deposits and toxins settled in the tissues.
I can't do a juice fast - I'm hypoglycemic
So was I. In fact, I had extreme sugar highs and lows. When my blood sugar would go low, I would be on the ground unconscious. And when I was unconscious, I would have seizures. Yet, when I did juice fasting, this did not happen. If you do the juice fast as directed, you will always be drinking juice. You will be drinking juice every hour. If you do it this way, you will be continuously giving your body more carbohydrates, and it will be impossible for your blood sugar to go too low. The only time I would be cautious would be if I had diabetes, or had ever passed out from low blood sugar - this is usually only the case in diabetes. (If you have diabetes, I would strongly recommend a supervised vegetable juice fast, with frequent monitoring of the blood sugar- your high blood sugar problem might go away so quickly that your regular dose of insulin or other blood sugar-lowering medication will make your blood sugar go too low. You can also experience blood sugar peaks, so it is important to monitor your blood sugar frequently.)
Now, you might feel tired because your body is doing all of this cleansing work. Old solid toxins which had previously settled in your fat cells, liver, kidneys, brain, pancreas, muscles, joints and bones are being liquefied and released into your bloodstream to be removed. This feeling of tiredness is commonly misinterpreted as a blood sugar low. It is not! This "detoxification reaction" as it is commonly called can be greatly relieved by giving extra attention to your elimination as follows.
Caring for your colon during a juice fast
During a juice fast, since there is no solid food ingested, the bowel does not have any fiber to work against; therefore, the bowels stop moving. The bowels can eliminate 3 or more pounds of toxins per day - this is a very important elimination organ! We need the bowels to move, so that the toxins can be released from the body. If not released in a timely fashion through the colon, kidneys, skin, and other elimination organs, the toxins can be reabsorbed back into the body. This can cause many unwanted symptoms.
1) Many people do an enema once or twice a day.
2) Make sure to drink at least a gallon of fluid every day. Your colon needs around 2 quarts a day to function properly - it needs more when detoxifying. A gallon of fluids per day will give your kidneys ample opportunity to eliminate the toxins that are coming loose and going into the bloodstream. Your kidneys filter toxins out of the bloodstream and release them into the urine.
3) Take an herbal laxative at night, and also first thing in the morning if needed. Herbal formulas work well to keep the bowel moving - Arise and Shine is a good brand to use. If you take lots of strong cayenne and/or juice a garlic clove with one or more of your vegetable juices, you might not need this.
4) Take an herbal formula which absorbs and draws toxins out of the bowel: These formulas usually contain charcoal, bentonite clay, and sometimes slippery elm and other herbs. Make your own if you can't find a good formula.
Herbal formula #1
(For the average American who has one or less bowel movements per day)
4 TBS clay (Aztec Healing Clay is a good brand - make sure it is a brand that
states it is for internal use)
2 TBS powdered activated Willow charcoal - ask your health food store to order it
2 TBS flax seeds
6 TBS powdered slippery elm bark
2 TBS powdered ginger
8 TBS psyllium seed (it expands less and is less constipating than psyllium husk)
2 TBS raw carob powder
Optional: 1 TBS powdered licorice root (add if you do not have kidney problems or problems with high blood pressure. This is healing to the mucous membranes of the intestines, regenerates stomach lining in the cases of ulcers, and makes the formula taste sweet.)
Dose: This is a powdered formula. Take 1 heaping tsp five times per day, or take 2 tsp three times per day. Put the powder in a glass of water or juice. Cover the glass or jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake for a few seconds. This mixes the formula better than stirring. Drink immediately or it will gel up.
Herbal formula #2
(For the person with Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn's Disease, and other conditions involving chronic diarrhea such as in AIDS, etc.)
2 TBS clay (see above formula)
2 TBS activated Willow charcoal
8 TBS slippery elm inner bark
2 TBS powdered peppermint leaf
2 TBS raw carob powder
14 TBS psyllium husk
Dose: Take 1 heaping tsp five-six times per day, or take 2 tsp 3 times per day.
In large quantities, psyllium husk will slow down diarrhea, and solidify the bowel movements. This formula acts to absorb the toxins in the bowel that are causing the diarrhea. Do not take any laxatives as foods which have a laxative effect such as ginger, cayenne (chili) peppers, garlic, senna, cascara sagrada, Cape aloes, buckthorn bark, Turkey Rhubarb, butternut root, yellow dock, etc. Put emphasis on vegetable juices instead of fruit juices.
Will I lose weight?
Juice fasting is a great balancer - it will help your body to get back in balance - whichever way that is. The answer is yes, if you are in need of losing weight. If you are very thin and underweight, try drinking your juices undiluted. In these cases, if you need to gain weight, I've known people to gain it. People are usually underweight because they cannot absorb nutrients from their food - even if they are eating large amounts of food. Juice fasting is a fool proof way to make sure you absorb the highest amount of nutrients from your food.
Will I lose too much weight?
In cases of severe toxicity, the body must break down many toxins before it can get to the task of rebuilding the body. Sometimes we see that cancer patients lose a lot of weight during a juice fast. This is temporary and nothing to be alarmed about, but it can be quite dramatic. In addition, cancer patients lose weight because cancer is a degenerative disease. The body is breaking itself down. The DISEASE cancer causes people to lose too much weight even if they never did a juice fast. When the body is cleansed sufficiently, it will begin to put on weight - but not before.
I don't have time to juice fast
Neither do I, but I still do it. Ideally, you should make your juice fresh and drink it immediately. Juice contains the most healing nutrients just after juicing. However, if you need to leave the house, make extra juice and bring it along in a container. If you'll be gone for a while, pack it in a cooler. This does not have to be difficult. If you forget to bring juice with you, go by a juice bar, and have them make it for you. This is a nice break from making the juice yourself. I've even known people to get great results from drinking store-bought bottled juices, so please don't use the excuse that you don't have time to do a juice fast. With a little planning, everything should happen without a hitch.
How long do I fast? How often should I fast?
A good general rule of thumb is to fast one day a week. Another option is to fast for 3-5 days per month. Some people do long fasts - sometimes up to a month of juice fasting, once a year. These options are all good for maintenance and for some extra housecleaning of the body. For more serious or life-threatening situations, more fasting may be indicated. For a cold or flu, the first thing to do is fast. Juice fast until it's gone. In acute situations, fasting is usually the best thing to do: kidney stones, appendicitis, gallbladder attack, severe colitis attack, severe bodily injuries, pneumonia, and other acute infections.
"Dr. Foster, author of Stop The Medicine! is located in the Los Angeles area, and does private consultations as well as lectures and workshops."